BY ARIEL KUSBY
Salt is one of the most powerful magical elements on earth. It has the ability to absorb negative energies, removing them from your own mind and spirit. Sea salt is particularly potent, especially when harnessed the right way.
By lovingly borrowing a bit of spare seawater, you are collecting that which has mixed with tidal currents, white-capped waves, kelp forests, and maybe even some mermaids. Sea salt possesses the healing powers of the ocean, and with these tips, you can learn to distill it for yourself.
1. Find the right beach. Do some research and learn where the water quality is best. Find a place where you will be able to enter the water safely and comfortably. If you don’t live near a beach, consider finding a salty lake, or taking a weekend trip to the sea.
2. Gather your supplies. To harness your own sea salt, you’ll need a collection jug or jar, stainless steel trays, and a sunny place where these can be laid out undisturbed.
3. Commune with the water. When you are ready, head to the beach. Watch the water for a while before you enter it. Pay attention to its mood, what it’s telling you with its movements, color, and sparkle. Ask its permission to enter and collect a little water. If you hear a yes, grab your container, and head out into the sea.
4. Gather water with intention. Find a spot where the waves are not breaking, so that you won’t collect sand along with your salt. If you are able to, swim out past the waves and collect water from a deeper area. Set an intention for your salt spell work. Feel the powers of the ocean and of your own spirit come together. Gather the water with love.
5. Thank the water. As you return to dry land, thank the ocean for its many blessings. Feel the salt drying on your skin. Enjoy the rest of your day at the beach.
6. Start drying. Once back at home, fill your trays with ocean water. Allow them to sit in the sun. The water levels with start to drop as the salt content becomes more concentrated. You can choose either to continue adding water as it evaporates each day or let it all evaporate away at once.
7. Stir the salt every few days. The surface of the salt will become dry and crystalline, while it will still be wet underneath. Make sure all of the moisture is evaporated before you’re done.
8. Scrape your salt into a container. Once all the salt is dry, use a spoon to scrape the salt into a container of your choice. This shouldn’t be difficult. The salt should have formed into small crystals, and should crumble easily.
9. Use your salt! You can add it to magical healing baths, incorporate it into spells, give it as a gift, or save it in a jar as a protective charm. You will have a special relationship with this salt. Enjoy its purifying, protective, and healing powers.
Ariel Kusby is an undergraduate at UCLA where she studies creative writing and fine art. She is the founder of the literary-arts publication Nothing New, which is published every full moon. Her writing has previously appeared or is forthcoming in Chaparral, East Jasmine Review, The Riveter Review, Westwind, Matchbox Magazine, and Nothing New.